Designer of many tatting patterns. Simple method of beaded tatting. Flowers are my inspiration!

Friday, 29 August 2008

Two-tone Starburst Doily

Here is my first offering of the Starburst Doily in two colours! I have done the first 8 rounds in size 20 cotton and it measures approximately 8 inches in diameter. I shall now continue with the rest of the doily (with my edited instructions) to see how it pans out.

Sunday, 24 August 2008

Starburst Coaster

I decided I needed to re-tat my Starbusrt Doily only this time I used size 70 white cotton instead of size 40 ecru. You know how it is, you think you know your own pattern and don't take a lot of notice of what is written down. Needless to say I did it wrong, but oh happy event, it turned out well! I forgot to repeat a couple of the rounds before I did the first scalloped roound, but it shows that the pattern works well as a motif/coaster. The doily can now be done in three sizes, 6 rounds makes the coaster, 8 rounds makes a small doily and 14 rounds makes the large doily!

Saturday, 23 August 2008

Gold Medal!

Some of the members of Here-be-Tatters have been joining in the Olympics by doing tatting events like the Motif Marathon, the Handkie Edging Hurdles and the Snowflake Slalem, to mention but a few. I have been doing the Snowflake Slalem and am so pleased with the amount that I have made (in spite of life getting in the way) that I have awarded myself a gold medal! LOL

Thursday, 21 August 2008

Another snowflake & a ruffle!

The on-line tatting class will be doing "ruffled" tatting this evening and this is my practice piece! Pretty looking but quite labourious to do!

Also another snowflake for the Olympic event.

Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Snowflake Slalem

For the Olympics I am tatting some snowflakes to deocrate my Christmas tree this year. So far I have completed 4...3 of my own design and one an adaptation of an Anne Orre pattern.

Peregrination of a design!

This picture shows how I altered the stitch count and combinations of stitches in my Starbusrt Doily. As I said in a previous post I was not happy with the outside rounds....I think they are too busy.....and it is near impossible to make it lie flat! These new outside rounds should make a huge difference and as soon as I finish my Olympic tatted snowflakes I will re-tat the whole doily!

Notice in rounds two and four how I tried two different ways to do the chains.

Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Stitch re-count for Starburst Doily

I have now re-designed the Starburst Doily with a new stitch count for the rounds after the first set of scallops. I feel quite sure that this will make a huge difference and allow the doily to lie flat properly. Wonderful Clyde is test tatting the doily (with the new instructions) and so we shall see what it looks like when he has finished!

Friday, 15 August 2008

I named it Starburst Doily!

Now that the doily is completed I have named it "Starburst Doily". I am not 100% happy with it, as the outside rows are a bit too full and don't let the doily lie flat without a lot of pulling into position! I shall have to have another look at the stitch count to see if I can adjust it. In the meantime, Clyde has graciously agreed to test tat it for me and hopefully he will be able to help me to rectify it.
The first 8 rounds fitted perfectly and indeed the doily could end here, but I wanted a larger doily. The pattern repeat idea, I think, was good, but I just need to get the stitch count sorted out!

Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Great News!

Great new folks! I recently contacted the craft suppliers Handy Hands in the United States and told them about my tatting pattern books. One of their staff visited my blog and website, were impressed with what they saw and ordered 50 of my first book (that was published professionally) "From Petals to Pearls". I am still walking on air! I am not interested in making a lot of money out of my simply would not be possible...but to promote tatting, that is my goal!

Friday, 8 August 2008

Doily Progression So Far!

I have continued with the same pattern rounds as before. Only two more rounds after this one and it will be completed! Obviously it will look much better when it has been blocked and pressed!

Sunday, 3 August 2008

Next Stage of Doily

After completing the round with the scallops it made a very pretty doily and anyone wanting this size of doily, 7" in diameter, could stop there, but I want to carry on as I have never designed a large doily before.
I tried with the repeat of the round of split rings and it works in perfectly and if my sums add up correctly when I have completed another 4 rounds after this one I should end up with a last row of 18 scallops and the whole thing should measure approximately 12" in diameter. Fingers crossed!

Friday, 1 August 2008

More Doily Progression

I am very please with the doily so far, but as it is very "dense" I think it is time to put some negative space into it. I am doing the next round as a scallop with a space in between for a couple of josephine knots. The doily could end with this round but I think I may add some more rounds, I will know better when this round is complete.