Designer of many tatting patterns. Simple method of beaded tatting. Flowers are my inspiration!

Thursday 27 November 2008

First Aran Jumper Finished

Here is the first Aran jumper in the Christmas present bundle to be finished.

I managed the V neck OK and the guesswork with the number of stitches in the neckband worked first time! I wasn't sure if I had enough stitches in the neckband and therefore decided to do it double length, fold it over and instead of casting off, catch each stitch down when sewing down the fold. This way I could ensure that the neck opening would not end up being pulled too tight!

DH also decided that he wanted the sleeves to be narrower than knitting patterns usually are as they always seem to bag under the arms. I did this by reducing the amount of stitches increased on every 4th row by 4 stitches....doing the same amount of increases every 6th row as the pattern stated therefore ending up with 4 stitches less overall....then compensating on the decrease section by continuing with just decreasing 2 stitches every other row all the way up instead of changing to decreasing 4 stitches every other row at the top section. I hope this all makes sense!
I am pleased to announce that it fits DH perfectly! He is extremely pleased but it now has to go
off to Santa for delivery on Christmas Day! LOL

5 comments:

Tattycat said...

This is so lovely Linda. You are a woman of many great talents.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

The sweater is beautiful! I may break down and look at my pattern books again!

Anonymous said...

VERY nice. Looks 'cuddly' warm. I can knit blocks and that is about it! and to think, when I was 14 I made a pair of argyle socks!!! no idea how I did that except I vaguely remember more than two needles. LOL

X Bev aka ridgetatter

Marty said...

No wonder he's pleased! It's a tremendous amount of work and looks great.

Maureen said...

Love the jumper, Linda - I like the flecky wool, what did you use?